Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Trim Cracks

New trim with spacer piece
Hopefully other T@B owners out there have a little better luck than I did with a recent trim repair.   


Over the winter, several trim cracks developed on the upper rear pieces of my 2010 T@B camper.  Apparently this is a common problem, and , in fact, when I took my camper in for repair at a former T@B dealer, there was another new T@B in the shop with the exact same issue.   


The service staff suggested that the reason for the trim cracks is because the trim is fastened down by screwing directly through the trim piece. This can cause little fissures in the plastic that expand in hot/cold extremes and can result in cracking over time.

They said the solution is to drill small holes in the trim first and then screw it down.  

So, the shop affixed a couple new trim pieces, but when I called to check the status, they said that the new trim cracked overnight.    They didn't have a good explanation, so I am not sure what the cause was - I can only speculate that maybe it was damaged on installation or maybe it was just a defective piece to begin with and cracked when the temperatures got below freezing.  


They then reordered some new pieces, only to find out that the trim length wasn't long enough on one side, leaving a gap.  

Long story short, after a month in the shop, I got the camper back.  It is not quite good as new, but close - they had to add a small "spacer piece" at the top to make up for the gap.   The repair guy pointed out several times that this was a very difficult job, that it took 10 hours to finish, and he did the best he could.    To their credit, the shop didn't charge me anything for this repair, even though the trim was long past its 90-day warranty, and the job took several hours. So, overall, I feel fortunate with this outcome, and the repair looks much better than it did when I took it in.  My fingers are crossed that it will last.

I hope this is informative for anyone else seeking repairs and that the fix is a little more straight forward for you than it was for me. I'm just happy to have the camper back, and I'm looking forward to a long camping season. 

No comments: