Tuesday, August 17, 2010

If it Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It

Checking out the furnace at Camping World
Sometimes it is better just to leave things well enough alone.  

On our last camping trip I *thought* the TAB's furnace wasn't working quite the way it should.    Even though it produced hot air and the blower was running as expected, the furnace burner kept cycling off and on before reaching the set temperature.  I reasoned that the burner should keep running until the wall thermostat shut it down.

Long story short - I asked around on the web and even called a couple RV repair shops. Everyone agreed that the furnace wasn't behaving as it should.  So, I took it in for repair at Camping World.  A couple days later I get a call and they tell me that the furnace is working as designed.   Turns out the burner is suppose to cycle off after it reaches 180 degrees internally and then start up again after it cools.  This is a safety feature so the furnace doesn't overheat.

So, live and learn I guess.   Gas to tow the T@B to Camping World, $10.   Cost to diagnose,  $80.   Peace of mind that the furnace is working properly, priceless.

1 comment:

Lisa R. said...

Great posting. Thanks for sharing this priceless tale. This saves me one more trip to the dealer for sure. Love your blog. - Tabelot from Salt Lake City, Utah